guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:08:51 +0100

Ricardo,

I don't know who wrote the current intro, but I think it's pretty good.
Have you got negative feedback from curious visitors?

Ricardo Wurmus wrote on 17/01/18 at 18:30:
> Hi Guix,
>
> on the website it starts right away with a list of features:
> “Liberating”, “Dependable”, and “Hackable”.  But what is this thing
> called Guix?

It's not just a list of features. The current intro is:

  - Liberating. The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is an advanced
    distribution of the GNU operating system developed by the GNU
    Project—which respects the freedom of computer users.

  - Dependable. It comes with the GNU Guix package manager, which in
    addition to standard package management features, supports
    transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package
    management, per-user profiles, and more.

  - Hackable. It provides Guile Scheme APIs, including high-level
    embedded domain-specific languages (EDSLs) to define packages and
    whole-system configurations.

I like the way it mixes description, features, and values without
getting lost in marketing-speak. It also breaks up the text into small
chunks, which is apparently mandatory on the 'Net.

That's not to say there's no room for improvement. Paragraph #1 in
particular might be a bit vague and verbose. But who's talking.

> We should add a very short paragraph above that list to say what Guix
> and GuixSD are.
>> What do you think?

Hm, what do you suggest?

Kind regards,