guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:32:04 +0100

Hello,

(+ Cc: sirgazil.)

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> It seems unfortunate to me that we have one shared website for GuixSD
> and Guix.  As much as I love GuixSD, I think Guix is the main “product”
> and GuixSD would need to be moved to a subsite.  That’s primarily
> because GuixSD can be explained in terms of Guix, but explaining Guix as
> “the package manager we use for GuixSD” seems less helpful.
>
> We have many more use-cases for Guix than for GuixSD, Guix is mature and
> GuixSD is still exploring ways to provide its own spin on traditional
> features (e.g. “guix deploy”).
>
> It’s much easier to tell people to “upgrade” to GuixSD when they already
> know Guix as a mature, reliable, and understandable piece of software,
> than to get them to “settle” for just Guix on a foreign distro, when
> we’re “selling” them GuixSD.
>
> My proposal is to keep https://gnu.org/s/guix focussed on Guix the
> functional software environment manager, and have the distro under
> https://gnu.org/s/guix/distro.
>
> What do you think?

In principle I think it’s a good idea.  In practice I’m not sure what
this would look like, though.

For instance, does that mean /distro would be a “second home page”, with
screenshots, contacts, blog entries, baseline, and all?  Or would it be
different?  What would be remove from or add to the actual home page?

Thoughts?

Ludo’.