guix-devel

Re: What do Meltdown and Spectre mean for libreboot x200 user?

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: What do Meltdown and Spectre mean for libreboot x200 user?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:29:36 +0000

On 19/01/18 14:26, Leah Rowe wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On 15/01/18 13:25, Andy Wingo wrote:
>> Greets,
>
>> On Mon 15 Jan 2018 12:32, Leah Rowe <address@hidden>
>> writes:
>
>>> The implications [of Meltdown/Spectre] at firmware level are
>>> non-existent (for instance, these attacks can't, to my
>>> knowledge, be used to actually run/modify malicious code, just
>>> read memory, so it's not as if some evil site could install
>>> malicious boot firmware in your system).
>
>> I agree that it's unlikely that a site could install boot
>> firmware, but AFAIU it's not out of the realm of possibility.
>> The vector I see would be using Meltdown/Spectre to read
>> authentication/capability tokens which could be used to gain
>> access, either via some other RCE vuln or possibly via remote
>> access.  Maybe evil code could find an SSH private key in a
>> mapped page, for example, which the evil server could use to SSH
>> directly to your machine.  But I admit that it's a bit farfetched
>> :)
>
> If the attack is used in order to gain access to GPG keys, it could
> be used to impersonate you. If it is used in order to read private
> SSH keys, then it could be used to log onto your servers for
> instance, and install malicious firmware.
>
> Of course, this can be mitigated by write-protecting. Libreboot
> systems support this, for the most part, though write protection
> of boot flash is not enabled by default, for ease-of-use reasons.
>
> It is not far fetched at all. I highly recommend that you take care
> as to what code runs on your system, especially with things like
> web browsers. If you give someone SSH into a system (e.g. shared
> server) but they don't need code execution (e.g. the SSH daemon is
> there for them to have SCP access), make sure noexec is set on
> their directory's mountpoint. Things like that.

Do you use Google?
Do you use Twitter?
What about your bank?
Government website?

anything that serves you javascript is a potential threat. Even if an
organisation is benevolent, who is to say that they don't get
compromised at one point and start being used as a vessel for attack
at some point.

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.

Support computer user freedom
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/