guix-devel

Re: [RFC] A simple draft for channels

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: [RFC] A simple draft for channels
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:45:30 +0800

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I’d like to retire GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH as the main way to get third-party
> packages, because we can’t really keep track of packages that were added
> or redefined in this way.  I want to replace it with slightly more
> formal “channels”.

Hello, as a way to get and manage third-party guix repositories, it
sounds more like “overlays” (in Gentoo world) rather than “channels” (in
Nix world, to ensure binaries availability and updates stability) to me.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay
https://nixos.org/nix/manual/index.html#sec-channels

How about call it as “overlay”?