guix-devel

Re: Prevent native-inputs references ending up in the final binary

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Prevent native-inputs references ending up in the final binary
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:37:14 -0800

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:47:14PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Danny,
>
> Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 20/01/18 at 11:40:
> > We should change that in core-updates-next, if possible.
> >
> > I think that native-inputs shouldn't end up in the final binary as a
> > reference [...]
> This has been discussed before, and I agree. (I started a branch to do
> so but it breaks quite a few things and it got tedious. I think I'm
> ready for more now.)

Yeah, I think a lot of things will break.

Something to consider is that not every reference has an effect on the
built software. Sometimes the reference is a nonfunctional string that
ends up in documentation, or for error messages, or many other places.
It may be a lot of work to remove them all.

I'd rather we do it somewhere else than core-updates.

It's already very difficult to complete the core-updates cycles. We
should limit core-updates to updates of core packages, and handle big
changes to Guix itself on their own branches.