guix-devel

Re: weird errors; shepherd

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: weird errors; shepherd
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 23:43:18 +0100

The attached file is gnu/services/trytond.scm which successfully runs trytond.

Everyone:

After I've tried writing some shepherd service I have to say that writing a
shepherd "start" action is way too difficult.

Even now, I've not gotten to work:

* Having the activation depend on any other service.
* Logging errors from start-trytond to stderr or stdout.
  As far as I understand make-forkexec-constructor takes special care not
  to kill stderr.  As long there's no log-file specified it should leave stdout
  and stderr alone.  So where does the text go?

I've had other problems like:

* root's shepherd hangs sometimes and herd can't connect to it anymore.
* When I use (error "XXX") in a shepherd start block, booting the system
drops me into a REPL and doesn't let me out again (instead of just failing
this one service and continuing to boot).

Sigh...