guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on Olimex A20 OLinuXino?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: GuixSD on Olimex A20 OLinuXino?
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:24:18 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> I have one of these (maybe not the “LIME”, but does it make a
> difference?).

Yes, it makes a difference (in U-Boot only).

Which one do you have? There's MICRO, LIME, LIME2 and additional
variants with eMMC and without eMMC.

Most of these should already have entries in
gnu/system/install.scm .  If not, one can easily add one
(add entry to gnu/bootloader/u-boot.scm, inheriting from allwinner-bootloader,
and then add entry to gnu/system/install.scm using it)

> How should I proceed?  Is it enough to dump this on
> microSD and boot?

Yes.

> I would actually write the final system rather than the installation
> system given that ‘guix pull’ currently runs out of memory on that
> device.

You can also boot the image using qemu-system-arm -kernel ... -dtb ...
in order to directly load the Linux kernel (skipping u-boot).

Then set everything up in there.

Then copy the resulting image to the SD card.

You'd just have to specify the correct bootloader form in the final
system. (u-boot-a20-olinuxino-whatever-bootloader).

Like this does:

  (define (adjust-bootloader os)
      (operating-system (inherit os)
        (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                     (bootloader u-boot-a20-olinuxino-whatever-bootloader)
                     (target "/dev/mmcblk0")))))