guix-devel

Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 18:12:27 +0300

Hello Fis,

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> * Add --pure option to `guix environment`

This is what I do even on GuixSD for Guix's Git repository, too.

> Then I tried again the added --pure option to `guix environment`:
> $ guix environment  guix --ad-hoc help2man git strace --pure
>
> During the process, following questions were emitted by command-not-found
> facility provided by Fedora:
>
> Install package 'cargo' to provide command 'cargo'? [N/y] n

[...]

> Even if I answer 'y', those packages won't be successfully installed by Fedora
> since I already have them.

Installing a missing package by guessing from non-existing command is a
Fedora's “feauture” of Bash.  I believe this is a reason of following
failures.  You probably could avoid this by starting a Bash process with

    bash --noprofile

[...]

> If I ignore the failure and then try:
> $ sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
>
> I will be told that sudo command is not availabile.
> Adding sudo as a dependency in environment will not work, due to this error:
>
> sudo: /gnu/store/p1fgwswygbw0fgbnpajdhxb0ylmqa20i-profile/bin/sudo must be
> owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

Please, run 'sudo' not from 'guix environment'.  (Press Ctrl+D to exit
from an 'guix environment').

[...]

Oleg.