guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: gource: Fix the hashes of mutated GitHub archives.

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: gource: Fix the hashes of mutated GitHub archives.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 13:54:48 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:17:38AM -0500, Oleg Pykhalov wrote:
> wigust pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository guix.
>
> commit 45b486984d8ab092cf002cd0b500df4dc62e186b
> Author: Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden>
> Date:   Thu Jan 25 16:58:35 2018 +0300
>
>     gnu: gource: Fix the hashes of mutated GitHub archives.
>
>     * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (gource): Fix hash.

> -                    "https://github.com/acaudwell/Gource/archive/";
> -                    "gource-" version ".tar.gz"))
> +                    "https://github.com/acaudwell/Gource/releases/download";
> +                    "/gource-" version "/gource-" version ".tar.gz"))

Hey, thanks for fixing this up.

The commit message made me think that the hash had changed, but based on
this commit it seems that the URL changed somehow, or was originally
incorrect.

In cases where the hash actually changed, please send a message to
bug-guix so we can investigate publicy.

The automatically created per-tag GitHub snapshots are not guaranteed to
be cached forever by GitHub or recreated deterministically, so their
hashes are subject to change. [0]

Additionally, if a packager uses `guix download` to check the hash of
some file, but uses an incorrect URL in the package definition, Guix
will use the file in /gnu/store and never try the URL. So it's easy to
commit the wrong URL if you use `guix download`. Instead I recommend
downloading the file outside of Guix and using `guix hash`.

[0]
https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/issues/4343
https://bugs.gnu.org/28659