guix-devel

Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:25:21 +0300

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry for the really late reply.

It's OK, we don't hurry.  :-)

>> Installing a missing package by guessing from non-existing command is a
>> Fedora's “feauture” of Bash.  I believe this is a reason of following
>> failures.  You probably could avoid this by starting a Bash process with
>>
>>     bash --noprofile
>>
>> [...]
>>
> It would be nice to be included in document.

Maybe, but I personally don't think so, because it depends on the
distribution where you are running Guix on.  I think it's assumed you
familiar with all distribution's pitfalls.

>> Please, run 'sudo' not from 'guix environment'.  (Press Ctrl+D to exit
>> from an 'guix environment').
>>

> Can we put it in the document too? :)

I don't know about how to describe it properly.  'Do not do a thing from
guix environment' is a good for mailing list, but bad for the
documentation, I believe.  Because the documentation should teach people
and not give a solution.  This is why Nix discontinued their wiki site.

>> What are the exact commands you are giving?
>>
>> Pj.
>>

> I succeeded at the second time according to your guide, don't know why,
> maybe missing something. All in all, I sent the remaining patches for
> some packages to guix and those are accepted. :)
>
> I think I will have to disable guix for a while since it's really messing
> up with my environment and I currently don't have the time to deal with
> it. :(
> I will come back latter and try joining the development for guix itself,
> really sorry.

What do you mean by disable?  You could invoke it at any time with a
clean Bash session.  Also I would recommend to search for a Fedora's
Bash feature for installing programms if a command is missing and
disable/remove it.  Fedora's folks probably could help this it.

Oleg.