guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 08:37:18 +0100

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:14:15PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> > I’m not a fan of sales messages and that kind of language
> > (“introducing”, “the first foo to do bar”, etc); I also don’t like that
> > these are all worded negatively, which is something we should avoid.
>
> OK but keep in mind that we have very little time to capture a
> prospective user's attention. You normally do this by saying what is
> unique about a product and what problem it solves.  This is my attempt
> at points that might convince a sysadmin and/or user to try
> Guix/GuixSD. We can make it less salesy. But are the points wrong?  Is
> something missing? Are there better points to make?

The case is a bit complicated here. Not only do we present two
products we also have multiple audiences. The current website (in the
true GNU spirit) addresses hackers. That works because Guix was WIP
and needed more of those. The hacker spirit has served us and still
serves us.

But to popularize Guix we have at least two other audiences. The first
one 'sysadmins' and 'devops' is an important one because we need to
get Guix on systems they control. This proves to be a hard sell in my
experience.  Mostly, I think, because sysadmins are not aware of the
benefits - or simply don't want to be aware. No kidding, I have
encountered that a few times.

Then there are end-users and developers who can use Guix for their
purposes and it would liberate them.

The net benefit for all is gaining control, reproducibility and
(hopefully) saving time.

I.e., to have a successful sales pitch you'll need to address 2*3=6
targets.

I have a suspicion that we are inclined as hackers to go by merit.
I.e., Guix is superior so we'll win. History has proven this is
usually not the right stance.

I am happy George wants to address this. I think we should be fully
receptive.

Maybe we should add new pages:

1. Guix for sysadmins and devops
2. Guix for end users and organisations