guix-devel

Re: gcc-ddc

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: gcc-ddc
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:14:13 +0100

Hello!

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:

> Before FOSDEM I decided to take another look at this.
> I have really good news, gcc 4.7.4 ddc on x86_64 is now reproducible using
> clang.
> Code can be found at: https://github.com/Boskovits/guix/tree/gcc-ddc.

Woow, quite an achievement!

To be clear, this provides packages to perform DDC of GCC 4.7, right?

Did you choose 4.7 due to the fact that it’s the last C-only version?

> How could we go on with this?
>
> Now it is very experimental, and not conforming to policies.
> It is also architecture dependent.
>
> I don't think that this should go into upstream guix, because I don't
> believe it is useful for the general public. How should we get it into a
> place more generally available?

Perhaps there are pieces that (reproducibility fixes, etc.) that are
generally useful and could be merged directly.

As for the DDC packages, I don’t know.  It would probably require some
cleanup and discussion, but I think it would make sense to add it in
Guix proper.  That would allow Guix users to test their compiler through
DDC, which is not negligible.

Thanks,
Ludo’.