guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 18:27:17 +0100

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:58:09AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> To be explicit, I added a couple target groups and indicated the product
> we would pitch with an x ...
>
> | Target Group                | Guix | GuixSD | Motivation
> |-----------------------------+------+--------+--------------------------------------|
> | hacker                      | x    | x      | scheme, functional, free
>
> | sysadmin & devop            | x    | ?      | make
> user/developer/researcher happy

I doubt they will use GuixSD unless they have a very specific purpose
in mind, e.g., say for mailserver deployment. Cloud/VMs. It could
work, but I don't think it is a large group we can pitch to.

> | user/developer/researcher   | x    |        | productivity tool

This is my favorite because they are potential packagers.

> | generic organizational user | ?    |        | ?

Yes, another target group, i.e., the pointy haired boss. Some of these
understand the concept of reducing cost.

> | desktop distro user         |      | ?      | ?

Libre desktop user. Yes.

We also have embedded systems and phones as a potential audience. I
think OpenWRT/LEDE, for example, could buy into Guix. And then there
is Android. If we are able to strip down packages to a minimum that
becomes very interesting to them.

Then we have HPC as a specialization with optimized targets and
relocatable packages.

And light containers for webservice/cloud deployments...

Pj.