guix-devel

Looking for a sysadmin colleague to work on Guix and more

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Looking for a sysadmin colleague to work on Guix and more
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 21:13:22 +0100

Hello there,

the research group where I’m working is currently looking for a new
colleague for me to increase the size of our support team to three
people.

Unlike the previous job ads, this one explicitly mentions work on Guix
to support researchers using the HPC cluster.  Regular sysadmin tasks
will take up about two thirds of the time, with the remaining one third
being support for Guix on HPC.  The Guix work involves packaging
scientific applications upon user request, improving our use of Cuirass
for building package variants, but also debugging problems with using
Guix on the cluster (such as problems due to inconsistent legacy
profiles that aren’t use manifests).

We are a small team embedded in a core facility research group and have
relative autonomy within our domain.  We also facilitate communication
with the central IT department who administer the cluster and core
infrastructure.

I speak from experience when I say that this can be a lot of fun – you
get to regularly spend some of your work hours on advancing free
software, some more hours to support exciting medical research by
helping scientists solve problems, and yet more hours fighting
performance problems, legacy systems, half-baked solutions, and hardware
failures.

Note that this is not a remote job offer although the current location
of the institute is kinda remote: you would work in the northern fringes
of Berlin, just a couple dozen meters from the border to Brandenburg.
Our institute is planning to move to the city centre by the end of the
year.

Feel free to pass this job ad to people who might be interested.  Let me
know if you have any questions and I’ll try to answer them.  Note that
I’m just a lowly sysadmin, so contacting me does not constitute any
official communication wrt a job application.  To apply please follow
the instructions in the ad.

Attached is a copy of the job ad.

(Note that the only the text of the job ad is binding wrt the evaluation
of applications.)

Ricardo Wurmus

System administrator
BIMSB - Scientific Bioinformatics Platform
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine

Robert-Rössle-Str. 10, 13125, Berlin, Germany
Building 89, Room 1.08

email: address@hidden
tel:   +49 30 9406 1796