guix-devel

Re: Can we speed it up? Prev: compiling guix is too slow?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Can we speed it up? Prev: compiling guix is too slow?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 10:56:54 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

>> I wonder if anyone has analyzed the dependency graphs of software
>> packages (not necessarily for Guix, some big distribution like
>> Debian would be more interesting), with the goal if identifying good
>> splits based on simple criteria.
>
> Yeah, that would be a neat exercise. Any student here inclined to have
> a go?

As was to be expected, a quick search found some promising pointers, e.g.:

  https://arxiv.org/abs/0905.4226

  http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7490780/

Plus a lot more on language-specific dependency analysis, which is less
directly useful but may contain interesting methods that could be
generalized.

So, yes, this would make a good research project (master's level for
example) with the potential for academic recognition.

Konrad.