guix-devel

Re: Improving Shepherd

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Improving Shepherd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 21:49:08 +1100

A few people came to join me on Friday to think about Shepherd. Thanks Alex, Efraim, and Jelle.

We talked about a few different things that we'd like to achieve with Shepherd. The most significant and achievable things were, I think: user services, child process control, and concurrency/parallelism.

User services - Alex has already sent a patch to the list to allow generating user services from the Guix side. The idea is to generate a Shepherd config file, allowing a user to invoke shepherd manually to start their services. A further extension to this would be to have something like systemd's "user sessions", where the pid 1 Shepherd automatically starts a user's services when they log in.

Child process control - this is my personal frustration, where Shepherd loses track of processes that fork away (e.g. "emacs --daemon"). I barely know anything about Linux process management, but from my reading this can be solved through Linux namespaces (if user namespaces are available). Could someone who knows more about this let me know if that's a productive direction for me to investigate? Or tell me a better way to go about it?

Concurrency/parallelism - I think Jelle was planning to work on this, but I might be wrong about that. Maybe I volunteered? We're keen to see Shepherd starting services in parallel, where possible. This will require some changes to the way we start/stop services (because at the moment we just send a "start" signal to a single service to start it, which makes it hard to be parallel), and will require us to actually build some sort of real dependency resolution. Longer-term our goal should be to bring fibers into Shepherd, but Efraim mentioned that fibers doesn't compile on ARM at the moment, so we'll have to get that working first at least.

I mentioned an idea to the guys on Friday about how Shepherd should treat enabled/disabled services. I've thought about it some more, and I think it might work. The general idea is that Shepherd would always try to run an enabled service, and it would leave a disabled service as-is (unless it's needed to start another service). So it would kind of work like this:
- if stopped and enabled: try to start service
- if started and enabled: monitor, and restart service if it fails - if retrying too often: disable this service, and all which depend on it
- else: only start if another enabled service depends on this one

This would mean that Shepherd could decide the best way to start/stop services, including doing so in parallel if possible.

So, there are our ideas! Any thoughts, or words of wisdom? Feedback is welcome.

Carlo