guix-devel

Re: Dualbooting with guixsd not handling grub installation

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Dualbooting with guixsd not handling grub installation
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 15:25:34 +0300

  > I think we should keep ‘menu-entry’ bootloader-independent.

What does mean “independent”?  Do you mean that it's working only for
Grub now?  I guess others bootloaders could have this if they need to
generate a configuration file like “/boot/grub/grub.cfg”.

  > I’m actually not sure what problem we’re trying to solve: is it that
  > the ‘root’ variable in GRUB gets set to the wrong partition when you
  > try to dual-boot?

The problem is I cannot get a Grub “menu-entry” in “/boot/grub/grub.cfg”
which should look like:
menuentry "Another distro" {
  search --label --set another-disk-label
  configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

Also “linux” and “initrd” fields of “menu-entry” are required to be
defined which prevents from generating the snippet above.

Thoughts?

Oleg.