guix-devel

Re: UEFI testing

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: UEFI testing
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:09:22 +0100

Hi,

at FOSDEM we've been talking about testing UEFI booting in Guix system tests.

The command to use for that is:

qemu-system-x86_64 -bios $(guix build ovmf)/share/firmware/ovmf_x64.bin -m 1G -enable-kvm -hda ZZ -serial stdio

The place where system tests are is gnu/tests/install.scm - it's using
marionette-operating-system to prepare system tests.

So qemu would have to do a full boot using "-bios".

There's already an extlinux test there, so it should be easy to use that as
a template (copy %test-installed-extlinux-os to %test-installed-efi-os and
adapt it; also copy the %minimal-extlinux-os definition).

run-install could gain an option for the bios - which would then be passed
by %test-installed-efi-os .

I don't have UEFI or a use for it, so this mail is just a heads-up.

Thanks for looking into this, I guess I will pick it up form here.
I've actually dealt with ovmf already in other enviroments.
My problem here, is that the ovmf image should be writeable by the vm instance, so that
the bootloader nvram variables can be stored. It should be possible to fall back to the uefi backup path though.