guix-devel

Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:23:55 +0100

> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> quite a list of interesting ideas!
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 08:51:10AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>>> 10. provide user interface to our build farm where we could request
>>> building a
>>> specific package.
>>
>> This is one specific feature, but could be framed into a more general
>> project of creating a web frontend to cuirass, with a number of subtasks
>> (one thing that we use a lot on hydra: with one click, restart the build
>> of all packages that failed previously).
>>
>> As in Ricardo's suggestion, this would appeal to diverse competences,
>> in guile, javascript, databases and interface design. So I think something
>> interesting and useful would certainly come out of it.
>
> Agreed!  Actually one thing is adding more /api/* HTTP entry points.
> Another one is writing the Web frontend.  Each of these could be a
> project on its own, I think.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ricardo, should we draft something on this topic?

Our problem at this point is to recruit mentors.  Whoever submits the
project proposal on the Outreachy website[1] applies to become a mentor.
This is then either approved or declined by Ludovic or myself.

The project idea sounds good, but we really need a mentor who feels
responsible for this project and who will be able to guide an intern
throughout the application phase and the three-month internship between
from May to August.

I would be very happy if someone who is willing to oversee this project
would write a draft and submit it on the Outreachy website[1].

I volunteer to be a co-mentor for when the main mentor needs a free
weekend or something like that, but I can only assist, not lead the
project.

[1]: https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/submit-project/

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net