guix-devel

Re: proposal: modularize unpack in gnu build system

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: proposal: modularize unpack in gnu build system
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:12:52 +0100

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems, that currently we don't have zip in gnu build system, so that
> ends up in native-inputs, if we need that to unpack the tarball.
>
> It would be nice if gnu-build-system would use the appropriate compressor,
> and at the same time only depend on the one needed. How could this be
> achieved?

Why is this necessary?  I don’t see a problem with adding “unzip” to the
native-inputs when it is needed to unpack a zip archive.

In my opinion this is so easy that I don’t think the slight increase in
convenience would be worth the change.

You might be right about that. What I feel is that:
1. this is a recurring newbie question on the irc channel, I've seen it already a few times, so support time could be reduced
2. this change could make adding new archive types easier in the future.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net