guix-devel

Re: heads-up: Haskell updates

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: heads-up: Haskell updates
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 17:31:19 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

> git am just failed because the index is not matching.
>
> So I'll not push my core-updates.
>
> Next, I tried git merge origin/master which gave me a number of merge
> conflicts.
>
> One of those is gnu/local.mk:
>
> +   %D%/packages/patches/gettext-multi-core.patch               \
> +   %D%/packages/patches/gettext-gnulib-multi-core.patch          \
>
> These referred files haven't been merged into core-updates by my action above.
>
> Why?

If you do `git show a124e4258ad91`, which is the commit that adds
"ghc-8.0-fall-back-to-madv_dontneed.patch" to local.mk, you'll see these
files in the "context" of the change.

However these files have been deleted on core-updates.  So when git
tries to merge a124e4258ad91, it can't find this "context" and instead
adds it so that the commit applies cleanly.

The solution in this case is to delete these unwanted lines from
local.mk (again) and use "git commit" to conclude the merge.

However there are two other conflicts.  The emacs.scm one is easy, but
the python.scm conflict requires adjusting the bpython context to be
after the packages that were recently appended to python.scm on
core-updates.

Should we do a new merge to get the GHC patch, or just merge
core-updates and let the problem "fix itself" on 'master'?