guix-devel

Re: heads-up: Haskell updates

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: heads-up: Haskell updates
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:04:31 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Timothy Sample <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I think that’s a misunderstanding.  The cause for the error is earlier
>>> when it complains that some packages depend on different versions of the
>>> “transformers” package.  “StateT” is a monad transformer.
>>
>> For what it’s worth, I fixed this error on my machine by adding
>> “ghc-transformers” as an input to “ghc-transformers-compat”.  (This also
>> fixed “ghc-adjunctions”.)  This suggests to me that what you wrote
>> earlier accounts for the problem:
>>
>>> * many problems are caused by the fact that GHC includes a bunch of
>>>   packages that really shouldn’t be overridden by packages.  Examples
>>>   are ghc-directory, ghc-binary, ghc-bytestring, etc.  Since we still
>>>   have packages where these inputs are used, there can be conflicts down
>>>   the line, which are hard to fix.
>
> The solution might be to remove ghc-transformers from all packages that
> currently have it as an input rather than add it wherever the
> transformers is required.  This seems to be only ghc-mtl.  I’ve removed
> it and am building ghc-mtl and ghc-resourcet now.

I’ve built ghc-resourcet successfully with this change.  I’d be happy if
those of you who reported build failures could please retry building
ghc-resourcet with current master or core-updates (the fix to ghc-mtl is
on both branches now).

Thanks in advance!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net