guix-devel

Re: Graphically isolating Guix containers with Xpra.

From: Rutger Helling
Subject: Re: Graphically isolating Guix containers with Xpra.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:02:44 +0100

Hi Ludo,

I've tried 'guix run' for a little bit and I think it has a lot of
potential! One of the problems with guix environment containers is that
it can take quite a while to build. 'guix run' could solve that.

Adding Xpra to 'guix run' and/or 'guix environment' in some way could
definitely be handy for isolation purposes. For the most part it would
just consist of starting up a Xpra socket and exposing that to the
container, then maybe automatically attaching to it.

I've pushed a change to Xpra to start Xvfb with '-nolisten local'. This
disables abstract sockets for the Xorg server that gets started with
Xpra. As a result, using the commands below, you should be isolated even
on the same network namespace.

I can also write something for the Guix documentation, though i'm not
sure if that's considered out-of-scope.