guix-devel

Re: Kernel modules in initrd

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Kernel modules in initrd
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:39:59 +0100

Hello,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> To make this easier, I think the right approach is to include many
> modules like these to our installation image initrd, and then to
> automatically detect which modules are needed for booting.  A future
> easy installer could automatically add those modules to the OS config,
> but in the meantime we could simply print a message recommending that
> the user should add the needed modules to their initrd config.

FWIW I have code that I was planning to polish and submit (hopefully
next week) that determines modules needed for a particular device by
walking /sys.  In addition, I thought we could make the initrd module
list a first class field of ‘operating-system’.  With these two pieces,
‘guix system’ should be able to warn when a module is missing.

Ludo’.