guix-devel

Re: Kernel modules in initrd

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Kernel modules in initrd
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 12:43:30 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 00:02:39 +0100
Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 03:28:55PM +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> > No, wait, according to
> > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/43699/debian-does-not-detect-serial-pci-card-after-reboot/43723#43723
> >  ,
> > the kernel should be doing that even without udev.  Are we sure we need to
> > manually modprobe the stuff in gnu/build/linux-boot.scm in
> > the first place?  I think we should just add kmod to the initrd - that's
> > it.
>
> in that case, if I understand correctly, the security question would not
> be a problem any more, right, as only really needed modules would be loaded
> by the kernel? Then we could add more modules to the initrd.

Yes.

I've got it to work now.  I've got a very minimal static kmod into the initrd
and
that's now only loading modules for which supported hardware is present.

On the other hand, the initrd got 800 kiB larger - I'm not sure why modprobe
is so big... hmm...

Let's see the part Ludo adds to guix system init.  Maybe we can also replace
modprobe by it - if we want.