guix-devel

Re: Orchestration working group (before: Guix orchestration notes)

From: Devan
Subject: Re: Orchestration working group (before: Guix orchestration notes)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 03:18:39 +0100

Hi all,

Pjotr Prins transcribed 0.6K bytes:
> Hi Chris,
>
> That was a lengthy writeup, thanks :). I think the first step is to
> think in terms of (container/VM) provisioning. Then build that up towards
> orchestration and workflows.

I agree. I think a good start would be figuring out ways to
essentially replace what you can do with Dockerfiles. Which to me
mainly means having the ability to arbitrarily copy files into, and
further manipulate the tarballs made from using `guix pack`.

This would already allow us to build useful container images without
having to pull in random blob layers, which is the current state of
affairs with docker. These could then be orchestrated with the many
existing tools, and it would be a big step forward in reproducability
and security for that ecosystem.

> There is some overlap with the HPC
> working group, but I think we ought to have one on
> orchestration/provisining/work flows. I am quite keen to have
> something in place in the coming year. I.e., roll out firing up of
> software combinations in isolated environments. Let's keep discussing
> and build up a web page for that.
>
> My first provisioning step is to start up a Guix container on a server
> somewhere through a REST API and fire up a script that can run in the
> container.

That all sounds like good ideas to me.

> Pj.

Devan