guix-devel

Re: [WIP] localize guix.texi

From: julien lepiller
Subject: Re: [WIP] localize guix.texi
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 10:58:38 +0100

Le 2018-03-05 10:08, address@hidden a écrit :
Hi,

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

Hi, this new version of the patch takes your feedback into account. I tried to put guix.fr.texi in dist_info_TEXINFOS, but automake didn't generate the
rules for building guix.fr.info in that case.

I don't like the fact that both the po and texi files are commited and will
be changed together whenever someone makes a change in the manual.

I think this can be addressed by adding:

  PO_DEPENDS_ON_POT = no

in ‘Makevars’.  This variable is documented like this:

# This tells whether or not to regenerate a PO file when $(DOMAIN).pot
# has changed.  Possible values are "yes" and "no".  Set this to no if
# the POT file is checked in the repository and the version control
# program ignores timestamps.
PO_DEPENDS_ON_POT = yes

Well, since there's no pot file, it doesn't really help.

The French translation is just the beginning: I translated only the Introduction
and the Installation pages. Also, I used the po file to add the
@documentlanguage macro to change the texinfo strings to French (like "see",

Sounds good.  I think ‘makeinfo --html’ would also need to run in fr_FR
locale no? Or does @documentlanguage take care of everything, including
strings automatically added by makeinfo, such as those that appear at
the top of each HTML page?

@documentlanguage is enough

There's an issue with changes that add references: when that happens, the default translation would be the English version, so the reference would be to the English name (for instance, @pxref{Invoking guix package}), resulting
in a build failure when the name has been changed (for instance
"Invoquer guix package" in French). I would like to be able to localize the
section name because it appears in link names. Any ideas?

No idea.  Can po4a help with that?

It doesn't seem so. But that may be an improvement of po4a.

At worst, if .po files are committed and not systematically generated,
we can let translators handle this before they commit?

I don't understand? The issue is when translators are not involved. IIUC in texinfo, the section name (reference) and title (displayed) are the same, so section names have to be translated. When someone makes a change to the English manual and adds a reference to an existing section, po4a cannot generate a translation, so it will leave it as is. So we will get a reference to an invalid
section in the translated manuals and they will refuse to build.

There is enough information in the po file though, so I think po4a can be
improved (or we could add our own script for that).

Thank you!

Thanks,
Ludo’.