guix-devel

Re: Regarding Outreachy round 16

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Regarding Outreachy round 16
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 20:46:42 +0100

Hi I'm Aakanksha, currently a B.tech 2nd-year student, I'm interested in working on the project "Improve the user experience for Guix package". I know C/C++ fair enough, I have experience working with GIT too.

Can anyone tell me how do I begin contributing?

We usually recommend to install guix first, then build hello, and add a package.
You can get the guix manual at https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/.

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us here, on the mailing list, or on the #guix IRC channel on Freenode.

Finally some practical advice: once you have guix, you can build guix from source in a "guix environment guix".
You can edit a package receipt with "guix edit pkgname", and search the packages with "guix package -s pkgname".

You can install guix on a foreign distro, so you don't need to set up GuixSD if you want to work on guix. However, if
you would like, then you are welcome to do so. We also provide a virtual machine image with GuixSD, but my last
experience with that it needs resizing to do anything useful (not enough disk space there).

This section will be very useful if you like to learn by examples: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages.
You can easily expand from there, and looking at package receipes containing similar to software to the one you are willing to package.

You can have a look at:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix, the guix bug tracker, and
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix-patches, this is for tracking patches. New packages, and updates get listed here after mailing to guix-patches.

You can find contact information on our home-page: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/.