guix-devel

Re: installing python 2 and python 3 in the same profile

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: installing python 2 and python 3 in the same profile
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 09:37:25 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It is an unnecessary restriction to *prevent* users from installing
>> Python 2 and 3 interpreters into the same profile.  Any errors we see
>
> I agree. But the current question is not if we should allow people to
> shoot themselves into the foot, but how much effort we should invest to
> make this possible.

It hasn’t always been like this.  We added a feature to anticipate
conflicts that would happen at the time a profile is built.  This
feature now prevents you from installing variants of the same package
into the same profile — this is what we want.  Python 2 and 3 are not
variants of the same package, so preventing their installation into the
same profile is a bug introduced by that new feature.

My proposal would require very little effort to implement.  It is just a
question of whether there is a more elegant approach.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net