guix-devel

Re: Internship on Improve the user experience for the "guix package" com

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Internship on Improve the user experience for the "guix package" command line tool (Outreachy)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:27:28 +0100

Hi Vijayalakshmi,

> I created a patch file for the package definition of python-logwrap that
> I'm including here. I'm a little unsure if my patch is right because my ./
> pre-inst-env.in guix build r-abbyyR fails with some error.

This looks like you haven’t actually built Guix.  The “.in” files are
templates containing @PLACEHOLDERS@; they are turned into their target
files at configuration time.

In short you need to do this:

    guix environment guix
    ./bootstrap
    ./configure --localstatedir=/var
    make

At that point you’ll have “pre-inst-env”, an actual executable script.

> Also, since we are going to be communicating regularly now,
> 1. I'd like to know the best times to contact you.

I’m checking mails daily, but not always able to respond within 6 hours.
I’ll try to get a reply out within 12 hours.  I’m located in Central
Europe, so my timezone is CET.

> 2. I need some help finishing my Outreachy application, so anytime in the
> next 2 days if you could set aside an hour for us to discuss the goals of
> the project etc it'll be great.

Sure; I have some days off this week, so I can reserve some time to
discuss this.  Have you read the full project description on the
Outreachy page already?  If so, do you have any questions about the
project description?

As you build and install packages with Guix you will probably notice
that often there is a lot of dense output.  I think you can get a better
appreciation for this project when you play a little with Guix and
observe in what situations it spews out a lot of text.

The project schedule isn’t totally rigid; if you find a part of this
project particularly interesting we can adapt and focus on that part
more.  But before we can decide this I think you need to become a little
more familiar with the problem first.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net