guix-devel

Re: Krita 3 and 4 compatibility issues

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: Krita 3 and 4 compatibility issues
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:04:34 +0100

On 22.03.2018 18:44, Leo Famulari wrote:
I updated Krita to 4.0.0, but later I noticed some issues with the
transition, notably that the Krita 3 and 4 file formats are not totally
compatible and may not work consistently between versions:

Should we do anything about this?

In this specific case, you may bet on a very low number of users of Krita via guix, all of whom are likely to be enthusiastic enough to get such news right from the source.

A short note regarding the option to keep both Krita 3 and 4 accessible would be nice in this and any future similar case. The likelihood of not working in the same profile, potential configuration clashes, the option to use different profiles or guix environment, as you mentioned on #guix.

In general, though, it points to a need of bringing such messages to users attention. On first startup of the new application version would be a bit on the disruptive side and without a unified desktop environment, one has to wonder how it could be done technically, anyway.

There should be a clear answer to a user's question of what the last update brought them, though.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/