guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 06:32:51 +0100

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> Issue 1 I addressed so far: The default homepage (after first
> start and in general default) called a website which is questionable
> in my opion: https://palemoon.start.me

Can the home page be customized in Newmoon?  If so, then in my personal
opinion it would be good to leave the upstream default as-is, and let
the user decide whether to change it.  The page seems fairly benign to
me, but I understand that some people might object to some of the links
(e.g., to Facebook).

As far as the FSDG is concerned, I don't think this matters either way.

> Next, can I keep the default bookmarks? They are:
> - https://www.palemoon.org
> - http://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
> - https://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml
> - https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

These all seem benign to me; presumably they will be useful for a user
of a browser based on Pale Moon, right?  Again, I feel like respecting
upstream's decision on the defaults is the right way to go.

> Finally, about:addons let's you install Addons from 2 repositories:
> Pale Moon Add-ons Site and Mozilla Add-ons Site.
> "Search all add-ons" queries the 2 repositories and lets you install
> add-ons from the repositories.
>
> In an ideal world, I would have figured out the integration for
> plugins in the gnu-store by now. But I'm still testing, so:

Do these add-on repositories contain or encourage the use of non-free
software?  If so, to remain FSDG-compliant, it might be necessary to
change Newmoon so that it points somewhere else, such as the Free
Software Directory (this is what GNU Icecat does when you click on "Get
Add-ons").

On the technical side of things, is it possible to install plugins in
the browser, or does it fail with Guix-specific problems (e.g., tried to
modify a file in the immutable store)?  If it's possible to install
plugins in "the usual way" (whatever that is for Newmoon), then that's
great, and maybe someday we can figure out how to integrate those
plugins with Guix, too.  If it isn't possible to install plugins, then
that's not so great, but if the browser is usable in spite of that, then
it's probably better to add the browser now and iterate on it - we could
figure out how to accommodate the plugins later.

--
Chris