guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: ng0
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:48:52 +0000

Mark H Weaver transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I need some final input on topics I'm more liberal about.
> > Many many moons ago I started the work on Pale Moon. This
> > package has now moved into New Moon, which is what we are
> > allowed to redistribute with modifications (Pale Moon without
> > branding).
>
> Do you know if the New Moon browser supports EME?  If so, it would need
> to be disabled somehow.  The GNU FSDG specifically prohibits browsers
> that support EME.

I have no idea if it has support for EME. I will check next month.

> > Issue 1 I addressed so far: The default homepage (after first
> > start and in general default) called a website which is questionable
> > in my opion: https://palemoon.start.me
> >
> > I have patched the default home page to be gnu.org and gnu.org/s/guix
> >

> > Next, can I keep the default bookmarks? They are:
> > - https://www.palemoon.org
> > - http://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
> > - https://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml
> > - https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml
>
> I suspect that the default home page and bookmarks will need to be
> changed.  Otherwise, we would be steering users towards obtaining the
> Pale Moon browser, whose binary distribution is restricted by a nonfree
> license.  See <https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml>
>
> > Finally, about:addons let's you install Addons from 2 repositories:
> > Pale Moon Add-ons Site and Mozilla Add-ons Site.
> > "Search all add-ons" queries the 2 repositories and lets you install
> > add-ons from the repositories.
>
> We definitely need to avoid steering users toward the Mozilla Add-ons
> Site, or any other add-on site that is not committed to including only
> free software.  We could instead steer users toward the list of free
> add-ons that's used by GNU IceCat.

Have you read my follow-up Emails with more details? I'm curious if
due to the issues mentioned there this is still necessary from the
GNU view on things.
I have no strong opinion on keeping the addons.

--
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
https://n0.is