guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: ng0
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 18:04:59 +0000

ng0 transcribed 2.1K bytes:
> Mark H Weaver transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I need some final input on topics I'm more liberal about.
> > > Many many moons ago I started the work on Pale Moon. This
> > > package has now moved into New Moon, which is what we are
> > > allowed to redistribute with modifications (Pale Moon without
> > > branding).
> >
> > Do you know if the New Moon browser supports EME?  If so, it would need
> > to be disabled somehow.  The GNU FSDG specifically prohibits browsers
> > that support EME.
>
> I have no idea if it has support for EME. I will check next month.

Actually I was able to find it now:

Media support
Media support is a regularly-discussed topic for Pale Moon users, since part of
the user base would prefer a browser to also be a full-featured and fully
dedicated&specialized media player. This is, however, not a goal of Pale Moon
because of the inherent shift of focus from document content to media content.
That being said, the Web has shifted to be more visual-media heavy and as such
will require a browser to at least to some extent take on the media player role.

The following specific media streaming feature(s) is/are not on Pale Moon's
roadmap:

    In-browser DRM (EME)

We are extending the browser (especially for Linux) with FFmpeg media as a
replacement for the (generally problematic) GStreamer and libstagefright
solutions that are currently in place. Work is underway to make this the
default decoding/media back-end for all supported platforms.

source: https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml (is behind cloudflare without
tor exception last time I tried)