guix-devel

Re: bug#30728: Modification for guix installation script.

From: Tatiana Sholokhova
Subject: Re: bug#30728: Modification for guix installation script.
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 19:09:38 +0300

Hello!

Could you please make that change on top of the current version of the
Guix sources as a git commit?  Then you can run “git format-patch -1” to
format it as a patch in a format that we can apply.  You can send the
resulting patch file as an attachment to a reply to this email.
This also fixes bug #30728, so please add this line to the commit
message:
--
Ricardo

I have attached the patch file to this email. This patch fixes the installation process but it place guix within root's directory.

I personally prefer that the Guix daemon points to my home directory
because I don't want to update root's profile.  Some other people might
prefer that it points to ~root because they might later delete their
profile and want Guix to keep working.

Do we have to take a decision here?  Can't we just let the user decide
by letting them customize their environment variables?  I think it is
the point of environment variables: giving freedom to users.

We can further work on the script's flexibility using the environment variable solution.

--
Tatiana