guix-devel

Re: Provide python:debug with --with-pydebug switch

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Provide python:debug with --with-pydebug switch
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 07:48:00 +0200

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 09:12:20PM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apparently I missed Pjotr's original message.
>
> > I suppose --with-pydebug incurs some run-time overhead, so I think it
> > makes sense to make it a separate “python-debug” package.
>
> I'm not a hard-code extension developer, so I can't tell how useful it is.
> Since it is a separate package, it does not harm. So go ahead!

Bit more than that, it finds memory leaks which can exist in current
extensions. It is very useful Guix provides it as most other
distributions do not and developers have to compile python from
scratch with all hurdles. I'll write down how you can make use of this
out of the box with Guix.

> I suggest adding/extending the description like this:
>
> This python interpreter is build with '--with-pydebug' to help
> debugging. See
> https://pythonextensionpatterns.readthedocs.io/en/latest/debugging/debug.html
> for for information.

I would add 'develop and debug extensions'.

Pj.