guix-devel

Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 06:34:47 +0200

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you, Chris, for taking the time to go into such detail!

I found the service documentation to be a little confusing when I first
read it.  The slight incorrect statements (which I have now corrected
after confirming the intended behavior with Ludo) did not help clarify
matters.  My explanation was as much an attempt to help you as it was to
remind myself (yet again) how all this stuff works!

If anything is still unclear, please let me know and I will try to
explain more.  I hope to eventually go back and improve the services
documentation further in the manual, once I feel I have a strong enough
grasp of how it all works.

> However, as mentioned later in the thread, I arrived at a solution
> days ago. It just took finding a close match among existing services
> and recalling some basics about Scheme evaluation :)

I'm glad you were able to get it working!  Hopefully my explanation,
along with the manual, will help clarify any doubts you had about why it
works.

> Your write-up did improve my idea of what is going on, though I guess
> I may have to reread it later on, to get more out of it.

Excellent!  It's good to know I was able to help even a little.

--
Chris