guix-devel

Re: "guix environment --pure" different to guix-daemon's environment

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "guix environment --pure" different to guix-daemon's environment
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:33:04 +0200

Hello!

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:

> so I'm trying to get mrustc to work (see attachment) but I've hit a snag.
>
> When I use "guix build", gcc will eventually fail with SIGABRT.
> When I then try to reproduce the problem via "guix environment" gcc works just
> fine (using the failed tempdir and the failed command line).
>
> What could be up in this case?

Did you try ‘guix environment -C’?  There’d still be a few differences
compared to what guix-daemon does, but not that much (info "(guix)
Debugging Build Failures").

> Can I get guix-daemon to make gcc dump core on SIGABRT? (setrlimit in a build
> phase? :->)

Yes, you can!  :-)

Add a phase that does this:

                      ;; Allow us to dump core during the test suite so GDB
                      ;; can report backtraces.
                      (let ((MiB (* 1024 1024)))
                        (setrlimit 'core (* 300 MiB) (* 500 MiB)))

(From
<https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-hpc/blob/master/modules/inria/storm.scm#L59>.)

HTH,
Ludo’.