guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:35:44 -0400

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:57:39 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Pjotr,
>
> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
[...]
>> I think I'll go to FF again if this persists.
>
> IceCat is essentially the same code as FireFox modulo branding, add-ons,
> and a few trivial things.  I don’t see how IceCat itself could be
> blamed—the add-ons maybe, the way it is packaged in Guix perhaps, but
> IceCat?…

IceCat is based on an old ESR; FF has undergone many substantial changes
(and rewrites of parts of the system) since then; it's much more
performant and I've found it to be much more stable over the years.
(I use IceCat at home and FF at work.)

So when users compare IceCat to "Firefox", they're not likely
performing a valid comparison, since they're going to use a modern
version of Firefox.

I think Rubén is working on an ESR upgrade, so maybe users' experiences
will be a bit better soon.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer