guix-devel

Re: Videos

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: Videos
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 18:14:22 +0200

On 2018-05-29 16:48, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
Hi Guix,

I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
introduce functional package management with Guix.

This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
focus on a single feature and be on the point. The final seconds should
point the viewer to the manual to learn more.

Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
videos?  There are many tasks such as:

* collecting topics that should be covered
* writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
* translating the scripts into different languages
* recording the narrations in different languages
* drafting the storyboard for each video (i.e. what exactly is to be
  shown and for how long)
* recording the video portions
* mixing different audio tracks and the video track
* designing intro and outro frames
* recording or finding freely licensed music for the intro / outro
* coordinating with all volunteers

What do you think?

Guix videos! Great idea! FWIW, I think it's a lot of
efforts, but if the community manage to pull it off,
very great!

FWIW, I record screencast using the following script:

  ~/src/scheme/video$ cat record.sh
  #!/bin/sh
ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 -f pulse -ac 2 -i default $1

Then run the script with something like:

  $ ./record.sh guix-functional-package-manager.mp4

I've been recording some guile hacking session, that you
can find on youtube with the name "GNU Guile Hacking".
Or using the following command:

youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_jCPpfzyfeqtG9Jm4-WkiyX3kP4GiZp5

It's far away from anything like a MOOC but some people
enjoy them.  I am not looking to spam the mailing with
my poor attempts at marketing GNU Guile but rather suggest
that anyone can create such video focusing on guix. And
without much prepartion, can do much better than me.

Anyway, good luck!