guix-devel

Re: Suboptimal experience

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Suboptimal experience
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 17:52:10 +0200

Le 2018-06-18 17:01, Dan Partelly a écrit :
Well, retried again a git pull today. It broke with no backtrace (an
exception while printing backtrace)
ERROR: In procedure private-lookup: No variable bound to
define-module* in module (guile)

cannot build derivation for /gnu/store/sha…guix-32eb44240-modules.drv:
1 dependencies could not be built
cannot build derivation for /gnu/store/sha…guix-32eb44240.drv: 1
dependencies could not be built

This is a bug in guix pull. It has already been reported and we're working on a fix. That shouldn't cause any issue on your side: the failure to pull simply means that your guix wasn't updated. As a workaround, you can try again
as long as it fails in this way. "guix pull --cores=1" might help too.

The error is not in the package definitions, it's more likely a race condition
introduced with the recent guix pull update.

I do not know whats going on, but one two things are sure:

1. If is true that any packager can break the build of guix by
commiting a bad package definition, then the whole packaging system
design is **FLAWED** in my opinion. A system which is so brittle has
no place in an industrial environment, at least until such issues are
permanently resolved.  Yes, Mark was nice enough to say you can build
it from source and it works better, but to be honest, when I work with
an OS I just want tools which do work and make my life easier, not
spit error after error for days. If I need to build a repository, it
must be because i want to modify something or customize some software,
not because the OS itself burps .

Sorry about the bad experience :/ As I said, all this is due to the fact that guix evolves really fast. That's also the reason why we still consider it
beta. Had you tested it a few days earlier, everything would have been
going smoothly.

2. A package manager which fails time and again to build itself
doesn't present itself as very trustworthy. It may be very well be,
but adoption of software is governed by social factors more than
technical excellence. GuixSD for now is very nice and cool, but its a
hacking playground, not an industrial strength OS which you deliver
without worry.

So please excuse me if I give a bit of unsolicited advice, please fix
all those before going 1.0.  It does not gives a good impression on
the OS. I believe its important for your future marketing and your
goals to further free software in this world.

Thank you for your advice :) I think you're right: we are still beta, so
errors are to be expected from time to time. We should fix them before we go 1.0. That said, the system is robust enough that you can always recover
from said errors.