guix-devel

Re: Next steps

From: Sahithi Yarlagadda
Subject: Re: Next steps
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 04:21:11 +0530

Hi

>> a spinning animation.  For each line the animation could be advanced by
>> one (so it will spin really fast).
>>
>> Danny previously suggested this implementation:
>>
>>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2017-07/msg00068.html
I have tried the Spinner code and it worked fine for me

https://paste.debian.net/1031385/
I used usleep so that I could to see the characters spinning with a
little delay to understand the code.

I tried to use the same for ui.scm, the  i replaced str with
spinner-port in handle-string code. I got the following
 15fb4d0>#<output: file 15fb4d0>#<output: file 15fb4d0>#<output: file
15fb4d0>#<output: file 15fb4d0>

I understood that i am working on a softport and unable to figure out
how to pass the string without invoking the display/write. I took a lot
of time and failed.

Here comes the actual part,
Later i discussed with #ArneBab in #guile who helped be finish the code.
I felt that invoking the spinner each time a string is triggered would
be sufficient and it doesnt matter whatever might be the string apart
from the expressions which are colorized, so went on to write the code
which i am submitting as a patch. For this i had to try a lot of new
syntaxes.

Now the spinner is working fine, build messages are colored and the
whole build process looks understandable to the user.

Actually im a bit excited!!!! to see the spinner code working and the
build output. Just wanted to share that to the community.

Please review the patch and push it to wip-sahithi if the progress is
correct.

--
Regards
Sahithi