guix-devel

Re: 'package-name-version' and 'strip-store-file-name' does the same thi

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 'package-name-version' and 'strip-store-file-name' does the same thing with different ways
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 15:57:34 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Similarly, 'file-sans-extension' are defined in both (guix utils) and
>>> (guix build guile-build-system). They are both the same. Should we move
>>> them to (guix build utils) as well?
>>
>> Yes, sounds like a good idea!
>
> ‘file-sans-extension’ is used on the host-side, e.g. in scripts/build.scm.
> Is it still fine to move it to a build-side module only?

I think so because in practice we already use (guix build utils) quite a
lot on the “host side”.

More generally, while I think it’s important to arrange things so that
we don’t end up importing all of Guix on the build side, the advantage
of using the same language on both sides is that we can share code.  I
think we should take advantage of it when there are no downsides.

Ludo’.