guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM 2019 - stand

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019 - stand
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 16:28:22 +0100

Hello Björn!

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:

> we have only one day left (somehow, I thought it would be until 4th
> November, but it is Nov 2nd!). So, I would like to get this out tonight
> or at latest tomorrow morning (UTC+1).
>
> The people from Reproducible Builds have too few people, so we are left
> alone. I still would give it a try and we have quite some people who
> have volunteered for the stand. So, let's just give it a try, we can't
> loose anything.

Right, I think it’s worth trying.

> Project details
>
> ;; Is the right way "GNU Guix" or just "Guix"? Or even "GuixSD" or "GNU
> ;;; Guix and GNU GuixSD"?
>
> Name of project: GNU Guix

“GNU Guix” is fine.

> Description of project(s) for publication:
>
> ;; This is mostly copied from the manual's introduction part:
>
> GNU Guix is a package management tool for the GNU system. Guix makes it
> easy for unprivileged users to install, upgrade, or remove packages, to
> roll back to a previous package set, to build packages from source, and
> generally assists with the creation and maintenance of software
> environments.

Perhaps add something like: “As such, it solves problems that are often
address using ‘containers’, but does so in a way that provides
transparency and provenance tracking that are often lacking in container
solutions.”

> You can install GNU Guix on top of an existing GNU/Linux system where
> it complements the available tools without interference, or you can use
> it as part of the standalone Guix System Distribution or GuixSD. With
> GNU GuixSD, you declare all aspects of the operating system
> configuration and Guix takes care of instantiating the configuration in
> a transactional, reproducible, and stateless fashion.
>
> GuixSD is developed under the GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines
> (FSDG).

Maybe drop this last sentence…

> Why does it fit FOSDEM?
>
> ;; Anything more to say?
> ;; This is not to publish but just for the FOSDEM-people.
>
> GNU GuixSD is a FSDG-complient GNU/Linux-Distribution. GNU Guix and GNU

For the first sentence: “GNU GuixSD is a transactional GNU/Linux
distribution with support for declarative configuration management.”

> Secondary contact
> First name: Ludovic, is that OK?

OK!

For vector graphics, see <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/>.

Rather <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/>.

> ;; This is for the stand. We have a table and WiFi and electric power.
> ;; I think we don't need anything special, right?

I think that’s enough.

Thank you!

Ludo’.