guix-devel

Re: [Cuirass] Missing database indexes?

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: [Cuirass] Missing database indexes?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:50:44 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 18:06:00 +0100
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Indeed, that solves the problem for this simple example, thanks!
>
> Now, if I go back to the big query that /api/latestbuilds makes¹, the
> result is still pretty bad:

> sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT * FROM (
>    ...> SELECT Builds.derivation, Builds.rowid, Builds.timestamp,
> Builds.starttime, ...> Builds.stoptime, Builds.log, Builds.status,
> Builds.job_name, Builds.system, ...> Builds.nix_name,
> Specifications.name ...> FROM Builds
>    ...> INNER JOIN Evaluations ON Builds.evaluation = Evaluations.id
>    ...> INNER JOIN Specifications ON Evaluations.specification =
> Specifications.name ...> WHERE (:id IS NULL OR (:id = Builds.rowid))
>    ...> AND (:derivation IS NULL OR (:derivation = Builds.derivation))
>    ...> AND (:jobset IS NULL OR (:jobset = Specifications.name))
>    ...> AND (:job IS NULL OR (:job = Builds.job_name))
>    ...> AND (:system IS NULL OR (:system = Builds.system))
>    ...> AND (:evaluation IS NULL OR (:evaluation = Builds.evaluation))
>    ...> AND (:status IS NULL OR (:status = 'done' AND Builds.status
> >= 0) ...>                      OR (:status = 'pending' AND
> >Builds.status < 0)
>    ...>                      OR (:status = 'succeeded' AND
> Builds.status = 0) ...>                      OR (:status = 'failed'
> AND Builds.status > 0)) ...> AND (:borderlowtime IS NULL
> OR :borderlowid IS NULL ...>  OR ((:borderlowtime, :borderlowid) <
> (Builds.stoptime, Builds.rowid))) ...> AND (:borderhightime IS NULL
> OR :borderhighid IS NULL ...>  OR ((:borderhightime, :borderhighid) >
> (Builds.stoptime, Builds.rowid))) ...> ORDER BY
>    ...> CASE WHEN :borderlowtime IS NULL
>    ...>        OR :borderlowid IS NULL THEN Builds.stoptime
>    ...>                                ELSE -Builds.stoptime
>    ...> END DESC,
>    ...> CASE WHEN :borderlowtime IS NULL
>    ...>        OR :borderlowid IS NULL THEN Builds.rowid
>    ...>                                ELSE -Builds.rowid
>    ...> END DESC
>    ...> LIMIT :nr)
>    ...> ORDER BY stoptime, rowid ASC;
> 1|0|0|SCAN TABLE Builds
> 1|1|1|SEARCH TABLE Evaluations USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?)
> 1|2|2|SEARCH TABLE Specifications USING COVERING INDEX
> sqlite_autoindex_Specifications_1 (name=?) 1|0|0|USE TEMP B-TREE FOR
> ORDER BY 0|0|0|SCAN SUBQUERY 1
> 0|0|0|USE TEMP B-TREE FOR ORDER BY
>
> I don’t really know what additional index to create (and I’d rather
> let SQLite do it for me, if it were possible).

I don't know if there is any automated process to assist you. I have
the feeling that query optimization is more an art than science.

Hm. This code smells ... It looks too complicated.

I don't know if this brings you further concerning performance, here
are some thoughts:

One problematic part is this construct:

:variable IS NULL OR :variable=my_column)

Here is a very simple example:

sqlite> CREATE TABLE tst (
   ...> id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,
   ...> name TEXT NOT NULL,
   ...> age INTEGER NOT NULL);
sqlite> CREATE INDEX tst_name_age_idx ON tst(name, age);

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN
   ...> SELECT * FROM tst WHERE (23=23 OR id=:id);
0|0|0|SCAN TABLE tst

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN
   ...> SELECT * FROM tst WHERE id=:id;
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE tst USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?)

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN
   ...> SELECT * FROM tst WHERE name=:name AND age < 42;
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE tst USING COVERING INDEX tst_name_age_idx (name=? AND age<?)

So, even when we have a constant part(23=23) in the OR clause, this
leads to a full table scan. I think the optimizer cannot detect the
fact that it is a constant boolean value. In the other examples, it is
using the index.

Even this OR-clause with two variables looks better:

SELECT * FROM tst WHERE (id=:id1 OR id=:id2);
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE tst USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?)
0|0|0|EXECUTE LIST SUBQUERY 1

I double-checked with Postgresql and it is also performing a full table
scan in the "boolean-constant OR :id=id" case. I could not find any
references on the net about it.

When this would be Java/JPA I would suggest to dynamically create the
query. Can we do something in Scheme-DB too? I.e. pseudo-code

(string-append sql-prefix
  (unless (empty? derivation) "AND :derivation=Builds.derivation")
  (unless (empty? jobset) "AND :jobset=Builds.jobset)
  ...)
;;; Should be more some kind of folding, because of the "AND"

;;; Parameter-filling needs to be considered too

Two more things I noticed that are not directly performance oriented:

We are directly relying on the rowid here, there is no explicit
id-column.

This could lead to unpredicted results and reorderings (6th Quirk in
document):

https://www.sqlite.org/rowidtable.html

We should add a column:

id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT

Problem is that this concept of AUTOINCREMENT does only work for
Primary Keys in Sqlite. So we need to degrade "derivation" to a
secondary key, i.e. make it non-null and unique:

derivation    TEXT NOT NULL UNIQUE,

Is there anything speaking against that?

Lastly, the query has a limit and an order-by. The question is: Will
the result be first ordered and then the limit taken? The answer (I know
only for Postgresql and MySql, but I think it is the same for Sqlite,
I haven't found any reference): The order is always executed first, but
it has to be stable. In this case it is, because we order by
Builds.rowid, which is a key. Did this happen intentionally or just by
chance? Should we better add a note about that to the SQL code?

Björn