guix-devel

Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Preparing the reduced bootstrap tarballs
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:52:33 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

>> Ah right.  I saw that several times but did not use it.  I think because
>> initially it was of no use.  It would be nice if this built everything
>> we need, I agree :-)
>
> Heheh.  :-)  It’s what the “Building the Bootstrap Binaries” section
> describes.

Right...and I still forgot to add my new packages there...sigh.

>> Anyway, I think we/I will have to put some work into scripting
>> mescc-tools-seed or otherwise changing the mescc-tools-boot build.
>> WDYT?
>
> I’m confused: how did you build the seeds that (gnu packages bootstrap)
> refers to in ‘core-updates-next’?

I built them "by hand."  Mes used to have a `make seed' target.  I
dropped that.

> The goal is for the seeds to be built through Guix so we have a
> transparent and documented way to reproduce/verify them.

Sure.

> I could propose a patch to do that, though from what you’re saying
> generating ‘mescc-tools-seed’ is not something readily doable?

No, of course that's trivial.  I just sent patches to do that.  However,
building ascii seeds is not so trivial.  You need either M2-Planet or
Mes to produce those.  And then: ascii seeds is not what we want,
mescc-tools should be bootstrappable without any seeds, ascii or binary.

I don't see how to write a Guix packages to build mescc-tools without
any dependencies (apart from stage0 maybe).  It seems we still need a
mescc-tools-seed package anyway, which doesn't help?

janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com