guix-devel

Getting ‘core-updates’ merged

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Getting ‘core-updates’ merged
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:14:47 +0100

Hi!

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 22:20:27 +0100
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>> > I would prefer to have core-updates in the next release.  This has
>> > been delayed for much too long.  This would also avoid the bad look
>> > for a new release to have somewhat outdated core packages.
>> >
>> > If we can’t get core-updates ready within the next few weeks I won’t
>> > object to a release without it, but I think we should really try.
>>
>> Yes, that makes sense to me.
>>
>> So everyone: let’s join forces and get ‘core-updates’ finally merged!
>
> What is to do for core-updates to succeed? Is it "just" that
> hydra/berlin need to build it, or is there anything a human being can
> do (Or is the former necessary to define the latter?)?
>
> Is there a list of open/unresolved tasks?

What remains to be done is mostly (1) ensuring that there’s no
significant regression in terms of build failures compared to ‘master’,
and (2) making sure GuixSD boots and works fine.

For #1, a simple test is to try and upgrade your profile and see if
everything builds and works well.  In addition, you can look at these
dashboards to identify build failures that need to be addressed:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
  https://berlin.guixsd.org/jobset/core-updates-core-updates

For #2, running “make check-system”, or at least the inexpensive subset
of system tests (the expensive tests are the installation tests) should
give a good overview—Mark already reported an issue at
<https://issues.guix.info/issue/33362>.  The next step of course is to
try it on the bare metal for your own system config.

If we all do our share of testing, this can actually be pretty fast.
If today is a rainy day, here’s a good activity for you!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.