guix-devel

Re: updating substitutes, over and over

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: updating substitutes, over and over
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 22:12:58 +0100

Hello,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> We had problems with substitute cache (a Guile bug IIRC) and I think
> there was at least another fix.
>
> Still, looking at seemingly near-endless lines of seemingly redundant
> $title.
>
> Is this something you recognize, is there a good reason for this...
> It would be nice to know what's going on here.
>
> janneke
>
> $ ./pre-inst-env guix build bootstrap-tarballs
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://mirror.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> The following derivations will be built:
>    /gnu/store/sqcc5i7mmmhn31692fivqd2gyhxj3p8n-bootstrap-tarballs-0.drv

[...]

>    /gnu/store/q2mp0a11ljlz2q3bj5lk092k7gqdx7hb-texinfo-6.5
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://mirror.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://mirror.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://mirror.guixsd.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://mirror.guixsd.org'... 100.0%

Well, that’s redundant, redundant!

Please use https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org, not https://hydra.gnu.org.
Second, mirror.guixsd.org and mirror.hydra.gnu.org are the same, so
you’ll be better off using only one of these.

hydra.gnu.org has occasionally abysmal performance, which might explain
the redundancy (say it returns HTTP 500 or times out or something).

Grafting can trigger more substitute lookups, so that could be another
reason.

My 2¢,
Ludo’.