guix-devel

Re: Come back and graphical installer

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Come back and graphical installer
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:55:34 +0100

Hi :)

On 2018-11-19 03:10, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:

Hi Thorsten,

snip

"Keyboard model selection":

Hmm, Ubuntu's graphical installer gets away with just layout and
variant, no mention of model. Some graphical installers have a test
box and/or a detection scheme (asking the user to press certain keys).

Well now "pc105" is the standard and other models are mostly relics from
the past. I think I'll just assume the model to be pc105 and let user
select a layout and variant then.

Sounds good. The manual install is for all the special weird cases.

snip

"User selection":

This could start right in "User creation" for the first, required
user. Actually, I wonder if the installer should even offer creation
of several users? In general, don't do what can easily be done after
installation.

Well I was hesitating too as multiple user adds complexity to the
form. What do other people think, one or multiple users selection :)?

Single user is preferred.
You can hide al the group name and stuff too and just focus on the username.

Ubuntu makes it possible to choose a hostname. I never used that to anything so I would just set it to the username or just "guixsd".

--
Cheers Swedebugia