guix-devel

Re: Cyclic npm dependencies

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Cyclic npm dependencies
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:34:58 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 11:29:08PM +0000, Jelle Licht wrote:
>      >    So in your example, I imagine an input chain like:
>      >    node-glob 0.1  -> node-rimraf 0.1 -> node-glob 0.2 ->
>      node-rimraf 0.2
>      >    -> .... -> node-glob 1.0 -> node-rimraf 1.0
>      >    While *extremely* annoying to untangle, this is definitely
>      doable.
>      Appears to me that it would suffice to pick the latest version. In
>
>    What do you mean? In my specific example, you would need to package
>    and build each version in succession in order to actually be able to
>    use recent versions of either of these packages. IOW, you can not
>    choose any; you need to choose each.

If that is the case there is no way around it. All I am saying you can
start with an 'optimistic' importer and if that fails go back to
resolving the circular depency. I.e., opt for the simple resolution
first.

Arguably a dependency is not circular if versions differ. But that may
be a semantic argument ;)

Pj.